Monday 22 July 2013

RISC OS Taster!

I decided not to do my house hold jobs tonight, and started to image RISC OS onto an SD card... hooked up the Pi to my DELL XPS One 27, powered up, and within seconds the entire system had booted...



....I had forgotten how Acorn made use of the middle mouse button - still getting used to it!  Just missing Repton now !

Have to say though, I'm really impressed with the speed of this machine, so quite, and small...



I configured TCP/IP networking support, opened up the web browser to suddenly see... BREAKING NEWS...


Kate had given birth to a baby boy at St. Mary's Hospital, London.  Congratulations are in order, and It's great to hear mother and son are doing well... I'm sure plenty will be celebrating tonight!

I decided to have another Beer on that note... (Not that I need many excuses!)

Anyway, the point of this little exercise was to test the Raspberry Pi and check everything is working correctly.

If anybody out there is afraid of Linux, then RISC OS is certainly a very friendly alternative, and a good way of getting started.  Full instructions how to image operating systems can be found in the Quick Start guide.

I will be imaging Debian onto a separate card which will be used for serious projects going forward, but I'm not going to do that until the Armdroid is sorted...

No comments:

Post a Comment